Why should you consider a CAPS professional? Certified Aging in Place Specialists (CAPS) are trained to help you plan modifications and make changes to your home…changes that can help you continue living there comfortably and safely. CAPS professionals learn strategies and techniques for designing and building attractive, barrier-free living environments. They can provide answers to many of your housing questions and problems.
The Certified Aging in Place Specialist program was developed by the Remodeler’s Council of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) in collaboration with the NAHB Research Center, the NAHB 50+ Housing Council, and AARP. CAPS candidates receive the information and training needed to help consumers realize the dream of making their houses homes for a lifetime, even if their needs and abilities change. CAPS professionals receive training on providing a complete aging in place solution including:
- Addressing home accessibility issues.
- Identifying barriers in a home.
- Developing solutions for common obstacles that make homes unsafe or uncomfortable.
- Making product recommendations.
- Planning and making home modifications that help people live independently in their homes.
- Complying with building codes and standards.
CAPS professionals work with you to create a safe, comfortable, and convenient home environment, both now and into the future. You can learn more about the NAHB’s 50+ Housing Council and CAPS professionals by visiting the NAHB website at www.nahb.org. Click “Community” then “Councils” then “50+ Housing Council.”